(Using Neuroscience and Optimal Psychology)
By harnessing the most addictive neurochemicals in your body that prevent burnout and stress
AS SEEN ON:
"They have placed themselves at the front lines of many of these practices and offer sage advice on how to engage with them for maximum benefit and minimum risk."
– Aubrey Marcus, Founder of Onnit, NYT Best Selling Author
The Zone, or Flow as it’s known in the academic space is an optimal state of consciousness in which you feel your best and you perform your best.
It refers to those moments of rapt attention and total absorption, where everything else melts away and your focus is totally in the now. Time dilates - slowing down or speeding up, your sense of Self vanishes, action and awareness merge and you become one with whatever you’re doing.
In Flow, performance skyrockets to otherwise unreachable heights.
We've distilled the exact science and application of what it takes to get there.
So here's our invitation for to you to learn what it takes...
Not anymore, at least.
They're either too focused on hustle culture (if you focus on constantly grinding it out, only then can you achieve)...
Which is a binary mindset, as if our behaviors (and ultimately our lives) are a matter of inputs and outputs.
Or they're stuck in the power of positive thinking, "The Secret" and affirmations (if you change your attitudes and beliefs, then everything in your physical life will change too)...
This perspective is often ungrounded in technical specifics and flirts with "the woo."
You'll have to suspend judgement, and ignore (healthy) skepticism.
Either of these binary approaches doesn't cut it. And the world is changing too rapidly right now for that to be enough.
We need to start optimizing brains, bodies and peak performance states.
To make the shift from psychological models to integrative ones. Or as we call it, the shift from OS to UI (Operating System to User Interface).
That's a shift from black box "guessing what's happening" in our minds... to switching our conscious states as easily as swapping apps on your iPhone.
This is why we take a multidisciplinary approach to teaching.
Sharing insights from the leading researchers at Harvard, Stanford and Columbia, to special operations teams like the Navy SEALs and DARPA, and even RedBull extreme athletes and Olympic teams
Combining these leads us towards the full spectrum of ultimate performance.
"A user-manual for hacking your brain to drive high performance."
Peter Diamandis, Founder, X Prize, Co-Chairman, Singularity University
"A wonderful job of balancing the promises, perils, and how-to prescriptions of engineering peak states such as ‘flow.’"
Tim Ferriss, Angel Investor, Entrepreneur, Author of The 4-Hour Workweek
“Blew us away. Our whole group has talked of nothing else this week.”
Dane Holmes, Senior Partner, Goldman Sachs
"Jamie has amazing and fresh ideas on attaining higher performance states. When he talks, I listen."
Kristen Ulmer, Professional Extreme Skier, Author, The Art of Fear
"They have placed themselves at the front lines of many of these practices and offer sage advice on how to engage with them for maximum benefit and minimum risk."
Aubrey Marcus, Founder of Onnit, NYT Best Selling Author
"Stealing Fire cracks the code of peak performance so ordinary people can achieve extraordinary results.’"
Mark Divine, NY Times Best Selling Author, Founder SEALFIT and Unbeatable Mind
“A savvy, intriguing and novel roadmap to self-renewal. And it’s packed with literary, cultural, historical and biological references as well. You won’t forget this gem––it’s a fascinating read.”
(Referring to Recapture the Rapture)
Helen Fisher, Senior Research Fellow, The Kinsey Institute
"An invaluable roadmap for transformational consciousness and culture.."
(Referring to Recapture the Rapture)
Rick Doblin, Founder, MAPS
Next Cohort Dates:
Sep. 5 - Oct. 16, 2022
Jamie is an expert in peak performance and leadership, specializing in neuroanthropology, the intersection of culture, biology and psychology.
He has advised everyone from the U.S. Naval War College and Special Operations Command, the athletes of Red Bull, to the executives of Google, Goldman Sachs, Deloitte, Cisco, and YPO. His work and thought leadership has been covered in The New York Times, Financial Times, WIRED, Entrepreneur, HBR, Forbes, INC, & TEDx.
We take you through essential habits, experiments and triggers designed to produce more Flow in your life.
It is experimental and experiential. Each week, we introduce the science-based triggers of Flow... and then you apply it in your own life and report back to the class.
We share our own N=1 data sets, swap feedback and improve together.
If you just want to kick back and listen to some neat ideas, occasionally be inspired, and not change, then this is not the course for you.
This course will give you significant insights if you do the work. No one else can do your pushups for you.
Describing the foundational theories and models of flow in the FGP Virtual Flow Dojo.
The how-to's of biofeedback, HRV entrainment, and Navy SEAL breathing techniques.
Learning & training in Flow
Studio shot in our Virtual Dojo
In your daily Power Hour
• What is Flow? Unpack the nuances of altered states. (Hint: it’s a cycle, not a light switch) Once you understand the four stage cycle you can stop trying to catch lightning in a bottle, and learn how to build your very own tesla coil.
• Your Flow Biographical Review - Understand your unique relationship to flow, because no two of us are alike, and there are no one-size-fits-all solutions. Remember: N (the experiment group) = 1 (AKA: You!)
• Flow Biography Pattern Analysis - Identify your physical, mental and social flow triggers, to design your environment around what works for you. Flow isn’t a fixed location, it’s more like a zipcode. And what is happening in your body, mind, and environment directly shape how you get into it, and how you hang onto it once you’re there.
• What’s Your Learning Style? Because if this was just a hustle/grind/biohack/affirm-your-way to-success course, we probably wouldn’t be teaching it! The catch with a Flow based program is it can’t draw from expendable motivators like guilt and vanity. It has to come from the love of the game. It has to be joyfully self motivating, AKA “autotelic.” Set up your optimal learning plan to ensure the habits and practices that actually work for you.
• Flow Truth Free Write - Leverage overnight delta and REM cycles of your unconscious processing to generate insights and start every day three steps ahead. We often know the answers to our questions, it just takes the right prompts to uncover them.
• Active vs. Passive Recovery - There’s a huge difference between these two, and knowing the difference can save your bacon! We often get so frazzled and burned out we lose the juice we need to recharge the rest of our lives. Learn how to take micro-moments, even when you’re flat on your back fried, and build them into bigger wins. (Think yoga or a standup paddle vs: Netflix and a cheesecake).
• The Challenge-Skills Equation - Engineer the optimal balance in your work and life. Flow doesn’t come through taking on too much or too little. (If it was that easy, wouldn’t we all be doing it already?) Learn to balance the two and harness the magic of the Flow Channel––the sweet spot down the middle where things are hard enough to be novel and challenging, but not so crazy that they overwhelm.
• The 4% Rule - - Why focusing on incremental improvements is more effective long term and how to harness just one hour (1/24= 4%) to optimize the other twenty three each day.
• The Flow Cycle - How to shift your attention to increase your chances of flow (and why binary on-off state shifting doesn’t work).
• Group Flow and the 300% Boost - Choose your own adventure social experiments to bring about more coherence. Flow in isolation is only so rewarding. Flow together is twice as fun. Flow with friends, making it happen for each other? Triple your fun!
• Multi-Perspectival Awareness - Step outside yourself to refine your perspective. When you cross-reference other people’s reality, you get a clearer picture of the whole. Plus, it takes a load off those relentless Inner Critics and our pesky Default Mode Network. Step outside your Monkey Suit, (it’s way cooler in your birthday suit ;).
• Flow Triggers: Rich Environment - Your environment can support (or thwart) high performance. Learn what prompts creativity and what prompts distraction to dial yours up (turns out, all those social media algorithms might not have our best interests in mind… who woulda thunk?)
• Rich Environment: Self Reflection - Assess your environment's impact on your body and brain and learn to tweak your world to “make you more accident prone” for Flow states.
• Radical Novelty Assignment - A set of choose-your-own-adventures to boost novelty (leveraging dopamine is an essential ingredient in flow states). We’re not just hardwired for the pleasurable, we’re incented to seek the new. Here’s a cheat sheet from mild to spicy, to change things up!
• Big Nature Assignment - You’ve probably read about the Japanese practice of “forest bathing” where scientists have now proven the positive effects of kicking it in the woods. Well, turns out, 99,000 years of human culture took place smack dab in the middle of wild nature. We are hardwired for sunsets, sunrises, cold, heat, water, mountains, trees, vistas and views. #adoptyourspot. It’s the secret to feeling grounded in an unrooted world. This assignment helps your survey your natural assets and nudges you to weave them into your life a little more.
• Simplified Self Assignment - Peak states, by definition, let us step outside our waking selves (think, Inner Critic, default mode network etc). Once you let go of your narratives, you get to glimpse what Zen teachers call the Simple Self––unconcerned with keeping up appearances, and uncluttered with nervous chatter. It might sound esoteric or romantic, but really it’s not. Just simple peace and quiet, and an embodied sense of Home. (and it’s way easier to get to than most folks assume).
• Flow Triggers: Deep Embodiment - There’s never been a more disembodied generation of humans to ever live, than us right now! That’s the bad news. But the good news is that returning to our breath, our center of gravity, our arms and legs, balance and rhythm, are all massively impactful. Learn to return to embodied cognition, and your “intellectual cognition” gets much simpler.
• Flow Genome Matrix - This is one of the most powerful and deceptively simple tools we teach––the knobs and levers behind altered states of consciousness. Demystify your own physiology and simplify the domains of neuroscience, physiology and psychology. TL;DR Consciousness is programmable, and this map shows you how.
• Deep Embodiment: Self Reflection - Assess your embodied cognition. We know what gets measured gets managed––so treat it like a scorecard and actually name what’s working for you and what’s not.
• Embodied Cognition Assignment - Action steps to build physical capacity, and increase your non-intellectual learning. This might be one of the more fun assignments of the course. Get into your body, feel it, move it, groove it, and build range amongst what you can do!
• Intrinsic Motivation Assignment - Action steps to boost motivation & spontaneity, and how to make them effortless. We won’t say too much about this one yet, (cause spontaneity and planning don’t go hand in hand) so you’ll have to wait and see ;)
• Hedonic Engineering Assignment - Action steps to increase your range of non-ordinary states in productive and sustainable ways. That’s our technical way of saying, “here’s your chance to get lit and write it off as pro dev. Have fun (and be safe ;)”
• Flow Triggers: High Consequence - How raising the stakes can raise your game. Without accountability, change doesn’t happen, and you didn’t come here to stay the same, did you?
• High Consequence: Self Reflection - Assess your level of self/work/world feedback. Aside from this course, can you map the responses you’re getting to your actions?
• Instant Feedback Assignment - Action steps to tighten your feedback loops to get more done. After Action Reviews (AAR’s) didn’t become standard practice for almost every emergency response organization in the world for no reason. We learn best when we assess.
• Peak Arousal Assignment - Action steps to heighten your awareness (and how to get comfortable being uncomfortable). If you’re not careful, you could be unintentionally training your arousal to come from notifications, digital distractions and news cycles rather than true meaningful experiences. Learn to hone real awareness, not surface level reaction.
• Mortal Stakes Assignment - Understanding the value of "death practices (and acknowledging the fleeting preciousness of life). None of us are getting out of here alive, so let’s honor that and practice “dying before we die” so that we can live a little more fully while we’re here.
• Accessing the Present - The “Power of Now” is a slippery fish to pin down. But really, either you’re in it (and nothing needs to be said) or you’re not (and no amount of talking is gonna change that fact). Instead, learn how to catch yourself drifting into Past or Future, and both a mental and physical method to drop you back into the Present.
• The Power of Now Unpacked - Uncover your "time-signature" to navigate more effectively through your day (and a cheat sheet for shifting perspective into the now).
• Radical Gratitude - Here’s a flow tip that could save your life (or at least years of futile searching) The Deep Now where Flow (and most other good things in life) happens is available at all times. But we kick ourselves out of this endlessly rich present moment anytime we decide, consciously or not, that this moment isn’t enough. It’s too hot or cold, lame or cringey, tired or wired, you name it––we’ve judged the Now and found it lacking, so off we go hopscotching through the timescape into Perfect Past and Fantastic Futures where we’re convinced it was, or is gonna be better. But Gratitude, radical appreciation for the Full Catastrophe of Life, as it is, where it is, when it is, is a secret trick to change your experience.
• Beware the Endless Peak Moments Fantasy - It will get you everytime. The first 20% of any new biohack, workshop, substance, or festival will likely deliver 80% of the growth. If we go chasing the endless ups after those quick hits, we’ll almost always lose faith with the inevitable downs. Instead learn frameworks for pursuing mastery over time that protect you from the Shiny Object Syndrome.
• Graduation & Next Steps - Integration and support towards a lifetime of integrating human performance and peak states practices. And, how to make the most out of the firehose of skills you’ve just added to your arsenal, in a way that leaves you feeling fully alive and ready for your next adventure.
Where you get to choose your level of challenge and go out into the world with specific tasks that ramp up your “Flow prone-ness” dramatically
Just 4% of your day to improve your overall resilience. These are nine core habits that will leave you more focused, energized and organized through the rest of your day.
You’ll learn about the four stage Flow Cycle and the two critical steps that almost everyone gets wrong, about the Flow Time Map–and exactly how to steer yourself out of Past and Future and into the Deep Now, about the crucial research on how your Mindset directly affects your ability to recover from setbacks, and much more from top-ranked institutions like Harvard, Columbia, Cambridge, Stanford and DARPA.
You’ll learn (and use) a simple 12 hour creativity Flow hack to access the 1000X processing power of your intrinsic brain instead of our normal waking state.
You'll join a core crew of other flow hackers to learn and train together. Ask each other questions, swap notes and form friendships with others who relate to you on ideas like flow and peak performance.
Each cohort is assigned 1-2 mentors to answer questions and support the class through the six weeks. They're selected from the alumni of our courses that have especially rocked it, and showed up fully as #HomeGrownHumans.
This is a step-by-step guide on how to schedule your entire year around skillfull access to peak states. This breaks down the daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal and annual practices you'll want to lock in for a life of flow.
This is one of the most important modules we've been tracking. Looking at the physiological knobs and levers that unlock peak states, Jamie unpacks the entire Flow Genome Matrix.
No Hassle Full Guarantee
Flow Fundamentals provides a meaningful improvement for:
100% of people...
Who do 100% of the work...
100% of the time.
And if after completing the course (with at least 75% completion), you don't feel that way, let us know what didn't work for you and we'll process a full refund of your tuition.
"This has been one of the most educational classes I've ever been in, including college.
I wish they had something like this in college. I think it should be mandatory. The amount I learned about myself, the brain hijacks that I have let cripple my life at times, just simply everything was phenomenal."
–– Ben Herrick
"I've done many crazy and out-of-the-norm things in my life and so far these six weeks have been truly the most sustained and prolonged proactive vital civilian learning experience program that I've ever experienced."
–– Claudi Valls i Lillo
"There really are no words to describe the benefits I have received from this course, and with the tools you have provided it never has to end. It truly is the course that keeps on giving."
–– Debra Lucas
"Thank you for designing this course. To be honest, it is perhaps the only endeavor I've concluded successfully in maybe a decade, aside of college. It is beautifully structured. The results are very powerful, even if in retrospect the techniques seem easy, but it would have been difficult to put two and two together on my own."
–– Renato Vargas
“Everyone should learn this. I will have my children learn these tenets of flow before I give them a cell phone. This is fundamental to human well being. Thank you for showing us the way.”
– Christopher C.D.
"In pretty much every area of my life, I feel more satisfied since I've increased the amount of flow in my life. I'm firing on all cylinders and I can't wait to apply what I've learned to more fully humanizing myself and others.”
– Jeremy Gordon
“The biggest impact this training has had on me has been being a part of a community of like-minded people. Learning and sharing alongside them has felt genuine and authentic. It’s given me encouragement to keep seeking a better life. It’s great knowing I’m not alone in seeking flow and wanting to hack it for my daily life!”
– Shebbie J.
"For those that are hungry for more self awareness, more growth, more flow, and more abundance in their life. This course is awesome and I would highly recommend it without reservation. The cost is pennies for the value it will deliver."
–– Joanette Weisse
“This has been the single most impactful and memorable learning experience of my life...
It played a direct role in increasing my productivity by orders of magnitude AND my enjoyment of life significantly.
I'm in awe looking back how much I've accomplished in a short 6 weeks."
– Alexandru P.
“Flow Fundamentals is a perfect example of how to learn and achieve flow in the same moment.
The entire program is an educational experience of flow. As I was learning, I was tapping into "my flow" and learning how to recreate it on demand. I became more aware of myself, what was holding me back and how to address and change it.
It allowed me to step into my most authentic self. I feel like a superhero.”
– Taylor G.
"This course was full of meaningful content that is helping me progress through some stuck areas in my life. Thank you to all the course members and mentors/coaches!"
– Jake Atchley
"Grateful for completing flow fundamentals in the path of mastering the concepts. I feel this journey as a game changer in my life. Very happy to feel the force you mentioned in week one! That increase in satisfaction, enjoyment and positive impacts in the world are fuels to my journey that has just started. Thank you @jamiewheal and this fantastic group!"
–– Guilherme Ferraioli
"This has been an amazing and life changing journey for me. Thank you!"
– Matt Mecham
"Since I've begun to get serious about recovery it's made a huge difference in my performance and sense of wellbeing. Thanks, Jamie."
–– Leonardo Radomile
"This course has been brilliant. Guiding me towards things I want, but haven’t been doing, socially, meeting amazing people and interacting with them in discussion and been a great social trigger for me. Realizing I need to get back into more physical things, and then creating the space to do it."
– Elvin Ko
"Thanks, and I got a lot of value out of the course."
–– Matt Hedman
"Thank you @jamiewheal and everyone in the cohort for supporting, inspiring and holding me accountable these past 6 weeks. I'm extremely grateful & wish you all the best in your Flow journeys moving forward!!
I think this course would be great way to strengthen friendships, relationships & overall team dynamics (especially at a time when most people are working remotely)."
–– Tanner Byers
"Jamie and team have done a great job compiling what it means to get started at flow. I highly recommend anyone getting a introduction to Flow to take this course.
It's a great way of getting connected to the wider feedback of your life, as well as learning more about what it means to be human."
–– Justin Meritt
Flow Genome Project | 2022