Train Your Brain To Find Your Mind
A simple method to play at the top of our game
Flow Fundamentals, updated for 2016, now includes over 25 new videos, a fully interactive app, wearables integration, automated calendar reminders and a social community!
Why does “Flow” even matter?
- You are finding it increasingly hard to shut off your relentless Inner Critic
- You spend most of your time not in the present, but “elsewhere”— daydreaming or worrying about the past or the future
- You routinely run out of willpower and have a list of personal dreams and goals that never get any closer to reality
- You’ve looked into some spiritual or personal growth programs but felt like an outsider or a total cynic—unwilling to “drink the kool-aid”
- You find yourself looking back on an earlier phase in your life where you did experience Flow, and have been quietly resigning yourself to never seeing “the good old days” again
- You self medicate or distract in ways that leave you feeling even less satisfied than before (think: social media, Netflix binges, shopping, porn, video games, substances)
- You occasionally ask yourself “is this really all there is?” and suspect the answer might just be, yes
- It’s been way too long since you’ve hooted and hollered just from the sheer joy of doing something you love
Flow Fundamentals can help.It’s like a “Zero to Hero” training program, but for your whole life. It’s practical, experimental and experiential. You learn a new idea about training Flow, you apply it in your life, you see what happens, and you make it your own.
I’ve found that the most common enemies to accessing Flow on demand are:
- Quitting when you’re right on the verge of breaking through to a new level
- Struggling inefficiently, and making whatever problem you’re facing worse
- Not having proven methods to relax, redirect and solve challenges when your initial approach doesn’t work
- Nagging inner monologue that constantly undermines your efforts, and when you do actually get into the Zone, knocks you right out of it
- Pushing from one challenge to the next without allowing yourself to truly recharge
- Telling yourself that you’ll “take a break” after the next goal or project, but you never do, until you get sick or injured
- Trouble getting to sleep right away, or waking up earlier than you’d planned because your mind is racing
- Feeling like you don’t have enough time or energy to do what you have to, let alone what you want to
And, did you know…
- Flow can be experienced by anyone, regardless of age, background or skillsets—from Japanese grandmothers, to Yosemite rock climbers, to Korean motorcycle gang members, to your friend on Etsy
- We spend over $4 trillion dollars on the Altered States Economy—buying products, chemicals and experiences that give us a brief moment outside ourselves. Flow does it naturally
- The people who report having the most Flow in their lives also report having the highest overall life satisfaction of any population on the planet
- When you are in Flow, your performance, creativity and problem solving spike by as much as 400%
- Flow releases five of the most potent neurochemicals for motivation, learning and well-being—norepinephrine, dopamine, endorphins, anandamide and oxytocin
- Learning new skills while in Flow cuts the path to mastery in half
Here’s the breakdown:
- $697 provides you full access to the Flow Fundamentals 2.0 app and all video and training content for life! You also receive your first year of ongoing membership in Flow Hacker Nation, our global community of amazing people–athletes, artists, entrepreneurs, health professionals, academics and YOU–all connecting together to help unlock their own lives, and help the world do the same. After the first year, $97 will be renewed annually for the Flow Hacker Nation membership.
- You’ll get monthly newsletters and updates, a private Facebook group to ask pressing questions and meet up with like-minded people as you travel, you’ll get to be beta-testers on new products, first invitations to our invite-only live events, sneak-peek book releases, and the inside scoop on what’s happening at the leading edges of human performance. The first year’s membership in Flow Hacker Nation comes complimentary as part of signing up for Flow Fundamentals. If at any time after that you’d like to opt-out, there’s no strings attached.
Next Course Starts July 3rd. Reserve Your Spot Now!
IT’S EVOLUTION. ACCELERATED(and two scoops of butter in your coffee isn’t gonna get you there)
— Kevin W. Carlin
“I might have been a little skeptical that I could somehow find more Flow in my life but over the past year after taking the course that thought has been dispelled in a big way. I learned a lot more about the science of it and how others experience Flow through so many mediums and how I could challenge myself in areas outside my comfort zones.”
— Simon Andrews
“After reading The Rise of Superman I simply wanted more. And I wanted more that could be applied to a middle-aged Australian male that used to be pretty sporty and active. My skepticism lay in how rigorous the science would be and whether the two blokes running it would be be interested in applying their knowledge to my relatively mundane circumstances. I was extremely satisfied on both counts. The Flow Cycle is what I keep coming back to.”
— Mia Pokriefka
“I was worried that I had to be a bad-ass athlete to truly get into to flow, but that fear was quickly turned on its head. I learned how to get out of my head, so I could get into the flow zone. I wanted in because I wanted to learn the techniques, like how to breath, but what I left with was being apart of an incredible community who wants to go the distance to explore our human potential together. That has made all the difference in being able to get into flow more often and more quickly.”
— Dr. Robyn Benson, Oriental Medicine
“This course wowed me and has transformed the way I live, work and play. Learning the flow cycle has liberated me from episodic resistance, distraction, and fear. I continue to break free now and experience way more flow state and certainly increased joy in all that I do as a busy doctor, mother, athlete, author and global traveler. Truly one of the coolest weeks of my life, with a very unique and inspiring group.”
— Lulu Luchaire, CEO Torii Labs
“Their approach is amazing. They’re very generous in sharing their own lives and their own experience of performing at their best.”
“By enrolling for Flow Fundamentals, I was hoping to gain more insight on how to get more flow in my own life. The class delivered that, and more. Flow Fundamentals is not only the start of a deeper dive into the science and art that underpins flow; but also, a unique, experiential exploration on how to introduce the precursors and conditions that invite more flow in your life.”— Erwin Valencia
We believe Flow is our birthright
But training with us isn’t for folks looking for quick fixes or blanket solutions to life’s problems.
No One Can Do Your Pushups For YouWhen it comes down to it, we believe that life is ultimately more tragic and more magic than most of us ever allow ourselves to experience. And that’s not just ok, it’s kind of unavoidably beautiful too. It’s like the dad says in Old Yeller “Life’s not all bad. A lot of it’s mighty fine, and you can’t afford to waste the good part fretting about the bad. That makes it all bad.” So we believe it’s worth training our games to bring more Flow into our lives, not so it will make us millions in our pajamas, or attract the sexy new boyfriend or fancy new car. We believe it’s worth spending more time in Flow because it let’s us set down our load for a little while, to step outside our normal waking selves, and get some information and inspiration to keep us going on the road ahead. We believe experiencing Flow is our birthright, and no one should die wondering if there’s “more” to life than they’ve been living.
Hi. My name is Jamie Wheal, and along with Steven Kotler, I founded the Flow Genome Project. From mountain guiding, surf rescue and wilderness medicine, where lives and limb are on the line, to advising Fortune 1000 executives and top ranked business schools, I’ve always been fascinated by the upper limits of focus and performing.
My biggest fear was always that I’d end up sucked into a painfully dull life, phoning in a job I hated, and getting beaten down by the grind. So wherever I could, I’ve tried to push things to the edges. For some people, that might sound kind of stressful. For me, it was the only place I could ever relax and know for sure that what I was doing in that moment actually mattered.
For more than a decade, I have been researching, writing about and teaching high performance leadership. I’ve spoken about these topics at conferences like TEDx, Summit Series and Cisco’s Future of Work, taught them to the founders of Google, Richard Branson, the officers of the U.S. Naval War College, the CEOs of Young Presidents’ Organization and the athletes of RedBull.
And through all that time, here’s what I’ve figured out. Change is hard. Really hard. And most of us, despite the workshop highs and New Year’s resolutions, don’t stick with what we know would make us better.
So I came to two conclusions.
Conclusion 1: I am a lazy and undisciplined bastard (and suspect that most of us are)
Conclusion 2: Except when I am doing things that put me into Flow. Then, I am an unstoppable, fired up, focused machine.
So that’s what this program, Flow Fundamentals is really about. Years of trial and error and gritty reality testing boiled down to what sticks in the thick of it. We’ve tried to distill all of the research, all of the science, psychology, and physiology surrounding peak experience and accelerated development into the simplest, most practical program to get you started leading a life with more Flow (and the meaning and satisfaction that inevitably come with it).
And after well over a decade testing this on ourselves at the Flow Genome Project, we know hacking Flow works. That’s not even the question really. What’s much more important than that, is:
What are you going to do with your one precious life?Because taking the Flow Fundamentals course is just a first step on an endless road. Once you’ve completed it, you’ve earned your “yellow belt” and are eligible to take our more advanced online and in person trainings at amazing locations around the world. We meet up in beautiful mountain retreats, oceanside surf spots, and forested lodges, we go deep into theory and practice, and we share a community that is filled with absolutely awesome people. Doctors, athletes, world-class trainers, authors, dancers, executives, entrepreneurs. And even better, when you become part of Flow Hacker Nation, we’re all contributing to the largest citizen science project on optimal psychology ever conducted (25,000 subject and going strong)
So jump in, there’s much more that comes after this initial training, but this is definitely the place to start.
Become Part of Flow Hacker Nation
Flow Fundamentals is a 6 week self-paced online training program that gives you:
A Fully Customized Flow ProfileSo you know exactly when, where and how you most easily get into Flow, and how that’s developed over the course of your life, so you can get more of it more easily than ever
Flow Trigger Training MissionsWhere you get to choose your level of challenge and go out into the world with specific tasks that ramp up your “Flow prone-ness” dramatically
Cutting edge research, theory and modelsYou’ll learn about the four stage Flow Cycle and the two critical steps that almost everyone gets wrong, about the Flow Time Map–and exactly how to steer yourself out of Past and Future and into the Deep Now, about the crucial research on how your Mindset directly affects your ability to recover from setbacks, and much more from top-ranked institutions like Harvard, Columbia, Cambridge, Stanford, DARPA and more!
Rewire Your Nervous SystemYou’ll learn about the one simple trick to overcome negativity bias and rewire your nervous system with greater resilience and resourcefulness.
Daily Brain Entrainment ExercisesYou’ll train on a daily basis with the best attention-awareness entrainment video out there
Navy SEAL Breathing TechniquesYou’ll practice the same respiratory control techniques that the Navy SEALs use to condition their bodies against the fight/flight response and get into Flow faster
Access the 1000x Processing Power of Your BrainYou’ll learn (and use) a simple 12 hour creativity Flow hack to access the 1000X processing power of your intrinsic brain instead of our normal waking state
Private Community & AccountabilityYou’ll gain access to Flow Hacker Nation private Facebook page and join our global community, ask questions, post updates, and get first look at our live events, videos and other awesome stuff!
Updated for 2016, Flow Fundamentals now includes over 25 new videos, a fully interactive app, wearables integration, automated calendar reminders and a social community! Next Course Starts July 3rd. Reserve Your Spot Now!
How to Reach Flow State (Or At Least Try)
Being in the zone. Zenning out. Whatever you call it, concentrating so deeply you don’t even realize it is sublime.
Written by Matt Skenazy, Outside Magazine